Southern Maine Falls to Framingham State 4-0

Senior Caitlin Caldwell sends the ball down field against Framingham State.
Senior Caitlin Caldwell sends the ball down field against Framingham State.

(Courtesy of Framingham State University Sport Information)

            FRAMINGHAM, Mass. -- A pair of goals and an assist from sophomore forward Isabela DeSouza (Framingham, Mass.) propelled the Framingham State University women's soccer team to a 4-0 victory over the University of Southern Maine this afternoon in non-conference action at Maple Street Field.

            With the win, the Rams improve to 1-1 on the season, while the Huskies fall to 1-3.

            Southern Maine had a chance early to take the lead when sophomore Kelly Burrell (Cumberland, ME) stole the ball from the Ram defense and was alone in the box.  Burrell fired a shot at net but Framingham State goalie McKenzie Vershon (Chicopee, Mass.) was able to punch it away.

            The Rams broke the scoreless deadlock with just 1:30 left in the opening frame when DeSouza fed a thru ball to junior Kayla Austin (Winchester, Mass.) who broke behind the Huskies defense.  Austin took possession and lofted a shot over the keeper and into the top of the net for her second goal of the year.

            Framingham State wasted no time doubling their lead in the opening minutes of the second as Austin and DeSouza connected once again.  This time it was Austin feeding DeSouza a thru ball and DeSouza beating the goalkeeper with a well placed shot for her first marker of the game.

            The Rams controlled the second-half play outshooting the Huskies 16-4 in the frame and holding a 25-7 shot advantage for the game.  Junior Cara Murtagh (Quincy, Mass.) pushed the Rams lead to 3-0 in the 70th minute with an unassisted tally.  Murtagh took possession on the side and maneuvered through the defense before placing a shot in the corner.

            DeSouza added her second of the day off an assist from senior Sarah Carey (Fall River, Mass.) in the 73rd minute to reach the final margin.

            Vershon picked up the shutout victory in net for the Rams making five saves, while freshman Marissa Temple (Grafton, Mass.) made 10 saves for the Huskies before giving way to sophomore Sarah Bishop (Hermon, Maine) who made two stops.

            The Huskies travel to the University of New England on Tuesday (6:00 p.m.) for their next match.  The Rams return to action on Tuesday (4:00 p.m.) when they host Curry College.