Huskies Close 2011 Season Defeating Rhode Island College 2-0

Huskies Close 2011 Season Defeating Rhode Island College 2-0

            GORHAM, Maine -- Freshman Hilary Dube (Woolwich, Maine/Morse) and junior Cathy Wise (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) each scored a goal on Senior Day as the University of Southern Maine Huskies defeated the Rhode Island College Anchorwomen, 2-0, in a Little East Conference women's soccer match Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field.  The match was the season finale for both sides.

            The win was the Huskies first since defeating the University of Maine Farmington in overtime on September 14, and snapped an 11-match winless (0-9-2) stretch.  The Huskies finished the campaign 3-12-2 overall (1-1-2 in the last four matches) and 1-5-1 in LEC play.  The Anchorwomen, who opened the season with wins in their first two games, finished the season 2-16-0 overall and 0-7-0 in conference play.

            Dube tallied her first collegiate goal in the final minute of the first half to snap a scoreless deadlock.  Junior Stefanie Stockwell (Buxton, Maine/Bonny Eagle) delivered a cross from the right wing into the box where it skipped off a couple of RIC players to Dube waiting unmarked at the back post.

            Looking to add to their lead, the Huskies finally got an insurance marker in the latter stages of the second half.  Wise took a pass from junior back Jess Boynton (Saco, Maine/Thornton Academy) about 20 yards out with her back to goal, turned and lofted a right-footed shot over RIC sophomore goalkeeper Abygayle Fisher (Exeter, N.H.) and under the crossbar for her team-leading fourth goal of the season.

            USM senior goalkeeper Kat Rothe (Leeds, Maine/Leavitt Area) was credited with two saves to earn her fourth shutout of the season.  Fisher registered five saves for the Anchorwomen.  Southern Maine had a 12-3 edge in shots and earned a 4-2 margin in corner kicks.

            Prior to the match, the Huskies honored their two seniors, Rothe and forward Tara Moore (Portland, Maine/Deering), who were playing in their final match.