Endicott Holds Off Southern Maine 11-9

Senior Shelby Turcotte (white jersey) had two goals for USM in an 11-9 loss to Endicott on Thursday.
Senior Shelby Turcotte (white jersey) had two goals for USM in an 11-9 loss to Endicott on Thursday.

            GORHAM, Maine -- The Endicott College women's lacrosse team used a 5-1 run over the first 12 minutes of the second half to erase a one-goal halftime deficit and went on to defeat the University of Southern Maine, 11-9, in non-conference play Thursday afternoon at Hannaford Field.

            The win was the seventh straight for the Gulls, and improved their overall record to 9-1.  The Huskies dropped their second straight two-goal decision to fall to 2-5 overall.

            Rookie Emily Whitney (Rye, N.H./Portsmouth) led the Gulls' attack scoring a game-high four goals.  Senior Callie Murphy (Woburn, Mass.) added three goals and dished off one assist.  Senior Rachel Campos (Shrewsbury, Mass.) chipped in two goals.  Senior goalie Ryan Socolow (Westford, Mass.) picked up her eighth win of the season making six saves.

            For the Huskies, sophomore Anh Nguyen (South Portland, Maine) and seniors Jacki Kelly (Brunswick, Maine) and Shelby Turcotte (Lewiston, Maine) had two goals apiece.  Senior goalie Kim Vogel (Sanford, Maine) stopped six shots.

            The Huskies fell behind 2-0 in the opening three minutes as junior Katie Tierney (South Hadley, Mass.) and classmate Ellie Clayman (Beverly, Mass./Governor's Academy) netted goals on the Gulls' first two shots.

            After more than 10 scoreless minutes, Kelly converted a free-position attempt at 16:35 to put the Huskies on the board.  Nguyen duplicated Kelly's effort four minutes later to tie the game.  Senior Rosie Forster (Andover, Mass.) gave the Huskies their first lead with an unassisted marker at 10:28.

            Murphy got the Gulls level at 7:58, but the Huskies responded with goals 70 seconds apart from freshman Raquel Heitor (Danbury, Conn.) and Nguyen to take a 5-3 lead.

            Just when it looked like the Huskies would head into the halftime break with a two-goal cushion, freshman Meghan Lennon (Canton, Mass.) scooped up a ground ball and the Gulls sped down field with Whitney finishing the counter attack scoring with just three seconds remaining.

            Just as in the first half, the Gulls opened the second half quickly with three goals in a span of 2:41 to assume a 7-5 lead.  Murphy scored at 26:28, then assisted on Whitney's up-goal 54 seconds later to give the Gulls the lead.  Campos finished the surge converting a free-position attempt at 23:47.

            Turcotte pulled USM within one at 23:07.  Murphy and Campos would find the net over the next five minutes to extend the Gulls lead to 9-6.

            The Huskies would outscore the Gulls 3-2 over the final 15 minutes, but could not get closer then two goals on three different occasions.

            Southern Maine outshot Endicott 25-19 and had a 24-20 advantage in ground balls.  Endicott was 12 for 12 clearing its defensive end and had a huge 15-5 advantage in draw controls.

            Southern Maine is off until next Wednesday (4:00 p.m.) when it hosts the University of Maine at Farmington in a rescheduled game.  Endicott entertains Commonwealth Coast Conference rival Gordon College on Saturday (12:00 p.m.).