Please wait while the ticker loads...

MIT Defeats Southern Maine 14-10

Junior Jess Gassman (#11) had a goal and an assist for the Huskies Saturday against MIT.
Junior Jess Gassman (#11) had a goal and an assist for the Huskies Saturday against MIT.

MIT Defeats Southern Maine 14-10

            GORHAM, Maine -- Senior Katie Kauffman (Olney, Md.) and junior Laura Wacker (Brooklyn, N.Y.) each scored four goals to help the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Engineers snap a five-game losing skid by defeating the University of Southern Maine Huskies 14-10 in a non-conference women's lacrosse match Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field.

            The win was the Engineers first since beating Framingham State University on March 20, and improved their overall record to 2-9.  The Huskies dropped their fourth straight game to slide to 4-7 on the season.

            Kauffman led all scorers garnering six points on the afternoon as she also had two assists.  Juniors Molly McShane (Lake Bluff, Ill.) and Meghan Wright (Devon, Pa.) each contributed two goals.  Senior Anna Teruya (Hockessin, Del.) chipped in two assists.  Sophomore goalie Sarah Ritter (The Woodlands, Texas) had an outstanding game frustrating USM shooters and finished with 15 saves.

            Junior Lauren Santo (Salem, N.H.), sophomores Rosie Forster (Andover, Mass.) and Jenna Cyr (Limerick, Maine), and freshman Julia Pearl (Essex Jct., Vt.) had two goals apiece for the Huskies.  Forster also had five draw controls.  Sophomore goalkeeper Kim Vogel (Sanford, Maine) recorded nine saves.

            Kauffman and Wacker each scored two goals to help the Engineers get off to a fast start.  Kauffman scored her two goals in the opening four minutes, and Wacker scored twice in a span of 51 seconds to give the visitors a 5-1 lead 14 minutes into the game.

            After Pearl scored her first goal of the day with 11:04 to go in the half, the Engineers tallied four consecutive goals to open up a 9-2 advantage.  Pearl's second goal of the game with 1:16 remaining made it 9-3 at halftime.

            In the second half, the Engineers were able to maintain a five to eight-goal advantage until the final nine minutes when the Huskies tallied four unanswered goals to close the gap to 14-10 before time ran out.

            Southern Maine is off until next Saturday (1:00 p.m.) when it hosts Western Connecticut State University in a Little East Conference match at Hannaford Field.  MIT will travel to Wellesley College for its next game on Tuesday (4:30 p.m.).